The Department of Bioinformatics (IBG-4) of the Institute of Bio- and Geosciences pursues a sustainable use of plants. Bioinformatics at Forschungszentrum Jülich plays a leading role at national and international level, for example in the field of data management of plant data, in the evaluation of new methods of genome analysis and in the integration, interpretation and visualisation of high-dimensional omics data from the field of bioeconomy. The IBG-4 focuses on knowledge management and data integration, classical bioinformatics and machine learning, especially for the prediction of phenotypes. Prof. Usadel and colleagues pioneered the use of long strand sequencing in plants (Plant Cell Oct;29(10):2336-2348); they develop and maintain a plant-specific functional annotation set of tools - MapMen (Molecular Plant 12, 879-892) and develop tools for short reading of sequencing data (Bioinformatics, 30 (15): 2114-2120).
Support us in finding answers for transcriptional reprogramming of the plant during abiotic stress response, identification of metabolic pathways for secondary metabolites or comparative genomics.
We are looking to recruit a
Senior Scientist - Plant Bioinformatics
- Genome, Transcriptome and Metabolome analysis and data integration
- Pan-Genome analyses and comparative genomics
- Development of novel tools and algorithms in the area of omics data analysis and integration
- Publications in international journals and travel to international conferences
- (Co)supervision of PhD students
- Further development of the institute’s bioinformatic mission
- Development and representation of our tools within the German network for Bioinformatics de.NBI and ELIXIR
- University degree and doctorate in bioinformatics, computer science, data science or life science related fields with proven track record in data analysis/bioinformatics
- Knowledge in programming languages (e.g. Java, Rust, C/C++) and statistical analysis using R/BioConductor
- Experience in workflow-management (Nextflow, Galaxy), and software (git) and data versioning is a plus
- Experience with the analysis and integration (data fusion) of high throughput data such as NGS, metabolite profiling and/or plant phenotyping data
- Experience with plant or microbial omics data is a plus
- Experience with acquisition and administration of third-party funds is considered a plus
- Proven scientific communication skills in the form of scientific publications or equivalent
- Willingness to complement and collaborate with existing research units at the research center and the CEPLAS excellence cluster
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken are a requirement due to the international nature of the institute and collaborations
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure
- Creative and international team that conducts research at the frontiers of science
- Interdisciplinary data science and applied bioinformatics in highly productive research projects
- Exciting working environment on an attractive research campus located between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- A highly motivated group and an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe
- The possibility to develop your own research program in line with the institute and center strategy
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- The initial duration of the appointment will be three years with the option for prolongation or a permanent contract upon successful evaluation
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.