Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 28,000 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories - your own and those of our university.
Support us from 01.04.2023 in full-time as a
Research Associate (m/f/d)
in the field of metatranscriptome analysis in leukemia
Subject to the final approval of the subsidies, the position is part of the externally funded project "Microbial shifts and cytokine pattern in children undergoing chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia" and is limited for 36 months at the Chair of Algorithmic Bioinformatic at the Faculty of Biology and Chemistry. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
Your tasks at a glance
Leukemia manifests in children if two factors come together: genetic predisposition and some sort of immune dysregulation. We will interrogate both factors in this multi-center multi-omics project to identify stereotypic microbial shifts for future diagnostic purposes.
- You will pre-process and analyze multi-omic big-data and interpret results together in an interdisciplenary team with statisticians and clinicians
- You will implement a novel algorithmic idea for metatranscriptome assembly and differential expression tests and apply your program to sequence raw data of this project
- You will actively communicate gained insides back to involved physicians and scientists
Your qualifications and competences
- Completed Master or equivalent university degree in the natural sciences
- Strong practical skills in processing and statistical analysis of high-dimensional data sets
- Fluency in scripting languages like Python or R and performance oriented languages like C/C++ or Rust
- Experiences with high performance computing, grid clusters or clouds as well as routine use of collaborative software engineering tools are highly preferred
Our offer to you
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate "Audit familiengerechte Hochschule")
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by January 15th, 2023, indicating reference number 691/08. We look forward to receiving your application.