Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 26,500 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories - your own and those of our university.
Support us as soon as possible in full-time as a
Junior group leader (m/f/d) in the field of bionformatics
focussing on microbial post-genome data analysis
As part of the budget for innovation and structural development by the Hessian Ministry for Science and the Arts, the position is to be filled on a fixed-term basis in accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 72 HessHG with the opportunity for own academic qualification at the Chair of Systems Biology, Department of Biology and Chemistry at the Faculty 08 with the opportunity for own academic qualification. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 14 TV-H).
As long as the maximum permissible duration of a fixed-term contract is not exceeded, you will be employed until December 31, 2027.
The junior research group leadership position is part of the Campus+ network at the Research Campus of Central Hessen (FCMH) and promotes the development of new inter-institutional and interdisciplinary collaborations between the universities in Central Hessen and the four non-university research institutions of the region. FCMH combines three strong partners: the two traditional full universities Justus Liebig University Giessen and Philipps University Marburg as well as the Technical University of Central Hesse, which is strongly influenced by engineering sciences. With over 8,000 active researchers and 200 large-scale and specialized research facilities, we offer a network and infrastructures that are otherwise only possible in metropolitan regions. We create cross-university structures and experimental spaces and connect application- and basic-oriented researchers across the entire spectrum of subjects. In this way, we support you in building powerful networks, courageously tackling the big questions of our time and developing your career in a targeted manner.
Our aim is to promote an early-career researcher in the field of microbial bioinformatics in an excellent and highly collaborative research environment and give this young person the chance to develop new subjects and establish his or her own fields of research. We are seeking for a scientist whose bioinformatics approaches, further strengthens and complements our scientific expertise in molecular, synthetic or environmental microbiology at the Justus Liebig University and the Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology in Marburg.
Your tasks at a glance
- Development, management and organization of an internationally visible working group in the field of microbial bioinformatics, particularly focusing on the interaction of microorganisms with their environment as well as synthetic microbiology
- Independent scientific work and leadership of a junior research group
- Collaboration with the Core Facilities of the Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology in the field of microbial proteomics, metabolomics, as well as the MaxGENESYS Biofoundry
- Supervision of PhD, master and bachelor students as well as student assistants
- Conduction of complex research activities, especially integration of proteomic, metabolomic and other post-genomic data in the microbial research field
- Development and support of sophisticated analysis and evaluation pipelines for standardized high-throughput analysis of post-genomic data
- Independent application, execution and documentation (publication) of research projects and results in the above-mentioned research area
- Acquisition of third-party funds
- Networking and cooperation within the Research Campus of Central Hessen (FCMH), especially in cross-location research projects
- Participation in teaching (e.g. in the M.Sc. Bioinformatics & Systems Biology program)
The provision of academic services (including the processing of a research project financed by third party funds on a temporary basis) also serves the purpose of academic qualification.
Your qualifications and competences
- Candidates are expected to have a scientific university degree and a PhD in bioinformatics or a comparable field (excellent bioinformatics skills are mandatory)
- Broad and sound methodological training, especially in the field of microbial proteomics and metabolomics, extensive experience in the use and development of bioinformatics and statistical methods in this research area
- Proven and extensive knowledge as well as experience in the field of high-throughput data analysis, e.g. in the development of automated workflows
- Proven expertise in bioinformatics software and methods development
- Practical experience and in-depth knowledge in the application of modern machine learning methods, knowledge in the field of deep learning including the use of artificial intelligence methods is desirable
- Ability to work independently and solution-oriented, strong team skills, as well as high competence in comprehensible and structured documentation of the respective processes and procedures
- Strong ability for scientific theory building and appropriate presentation of complex data in the field of microbial bioinformatics
- High willingness to learn new technologies independently and to strengthen own profile
- Active participation in national and international projects of the Research Campus of Central Hessen and collaboration with other academic cooperation partners
- The ability to raise own third-party funding projects is expected
- Fluency in English and German is required
- Proven track record in producing scientific publications in the field of microbial bioinformatics
- Initiative, creativity, team spirit are also required
Our offer to you
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Personal and individual mentoring offers from leading scientist
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate "audit familiengerechte hochschule")
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by May 19th, 2023, indicating reference number 250/08. Please attach to your application a letter of motivation (maximum 2 pages), your curriculum vitae, a list of your publications, a summary of your scientific achievements and future research interests (maximum 2 pages) as well as three potential references, as a single PDF file. We look forward to receiving your application.